Dec 23, 2015

Windows 7 - MiniTool Partition Wizard

Have you ever encounter a stubborn SD card or USB flash drive that you just cannot remove the partition(s) ?

Well this happens to me when I was creating a bootable USB flash drive for Chromium OS, after the installation and I need to re-use the flash drive, it just doesn't work.

To my surprise that Chromium OS required at least 8 partitions to be created in the USB flash drive and I have no way to recover those partitions by using "diskpart" command, let alone the partition manager GUI in Windows 7.

I come across a forum recommending such utility, so I share with you guys.

You can download the free version from MiniTool website, at time of writing the latest version is Partition Wizard Free Edition v.9.1

1. Download the utility (link shown above).

2. Install and run the utility, a start-up splash screen will be displayed, just select the "Launch Application" option.



3. Once the utility have started you will be presented the main screen as shown below. It will have some similarities to Windows's own partition manager GUI.



4. Select the correct USB flash drive or SD card drive. Please be very careful not to select your local hard drive as this utility doesn't differentiate it.



5. Right-click the drive, a list of many options is displayed.


6. For my case I've selected "Wipe Partition" option.



7. There's a few sub-option available, mine was to "clean" the entire USB flash drive so I can re-use it for other purposes. I've selected "Fill Sectors with Zero (Quick)" option. Now you do understand the terms "Zero Fill" right ? If not, please google it for more information.



8. Now you need to click "Apply" button for it to start making the changes.



9. Please be patience while waiting for it to complete, as my USB flash drive is a 32GB capacity it took me for more than 1 hour to complete the tasks.

10. Once completed, you need to re-create back the partition(s) else the drive will not work, well it's entirely up to you of how many partitions you wanted to create, but to make it simple for me I just need a single partition.

11. Well I think I do not need to show you any more screenshots on how to create a partition, you can do this by using the same utility or by using Windows's own partition manager. Explore yourself on the available functions but WARNED, all data will be lost in the USB flash drive so proper backup is required before you perform any testing on this utility.


HAPPY COMPUTING !!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

2 comments:

  1. MiniTool Partition Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for shearing this kind of information minitool

    ReplyDelete