Apr 17, 2016

Windows 10 - Disable Drivers Update in Windows Update

If you remember my old post where I've shown how to customised the Windows Update options, this new post is to show how to disabled the drivers update in Windows Update.

Why ? Well simply because I love my current drivers version I wanted it to stay that way. Actually its more kind of stability issues as all my drivers are downloaded from system manufacturer's website instead from the hardware manufacturer website which usually is more generic.

Eventhough the new version might have some bug fixes, but it was not so significant (in my case) where sometimes latest versions seems to sucks a lot and may causes my hardware not to function properly anymore. Follow these steps on how to disabled automatic drivers updates :-

1. Goto --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware tab --> Device Installation Settings button as shown below.



2. Now select --> No (your device might not work as expected) option and then click "Save Changes" button to continue.



3. Yeah... I know, the option & the remarks seems intimidating. But as an IT Professional, I preferred to use the drivers version from my system manufacturer instead of those generic version. And sometimes it does work better.

I was wondering why Microsoft doesn't allow us to select which updates that I wanted (just like in Windows 7), have they ever considered that in some environment such as Corporate Companies, they have proprietary software or in-house software that might not be compatible with certain updates ?

Come on Microsoft.... straighten this, do you really expect all the companies can really afford another server running WSUS services ? Did it ever occurred to you guys that maintaining a WSUS in a small company is another expenses ?

Well let's hope Microsoft can release a fix for this soon... else I'm going to downgrade back to Windows 7 instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment